The USCAP originated out of the dedication of a distinguished body of scientists and educators including
Major James Carroll, Dr. William MacCallum, Dr. William Welch, Dr. William Osler, and Dr. Maude Abbott.
They established the International Association of Medical Museums (IAMM) in 1906, and the organization flourished in the early decades of that century when museums served cardinal roles in medical education.
Divisions were later established in Europe and Canada. However, World War II disrupted international relations and at the war’s end only the U.S. and Canadian Division remained active. Dr. Harold Stewart of the National Cancer Institute proposed a name change to the International Academy of Pathology (IAP) to broaden the educational base of the organization, and together with the devoted efforts of Dr. F.K. Mostofi of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, rejuvenated the organization both nationally and internationally. On September 30, 1986 the U.S. and Canadian Division was separately incorporated as the United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology and has experienced steady growth. Our current membership is greater than 10,000 pathologists, making it the largest of the International Academy of Pathology’s 54 world-wide divisions. Membership in USCAP automatically conveys membership in the IAP.