2020 Long Course Guidelines
The purpose of this course is to provide learners with a resource for novel information that will change their practice of pathology. The course is intended to be a foundation to help learners begin their practice changes. Faculty for the 2020 Long Course
- 2-3 Learning Objectives per talk
- Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
- References (if references are not included in your presentation)
- 2 SAMs questions per talk
- Contribute to manuscript for Modern Pathology
Material and Question Preparation
Presentations should be created using Microsoft PowerPoint. Apple
- USCAP 2020 Long Course PowerPoint Slide Template
(File will download automatically)
The Long Course will provide American Board of Pathology Continuing Certification credit. In order to offer credit each faculty member must submit 2 SAMs questions per talk. All questions must have three (3) answer options with a single correct answer and include a correct answer rationale, learning objective, and reference.
Tips for Building Your Presentation
- Format for presentation must be 16:9
- Sans Serif fonts are recommended for projection
- Use a font size of at least 28 point
- Use no more than 2 fonts on a slide
- If you are inserting images, the recommended format is JPEG or JPG
- If you are inserting a video, the recommended video format is .WMV
Use of Materials and Copyright
USCAP will provide course registrants with a secure online PDF of each presentation submitted. In addition, the Long Course will be recorded and available in USCAP’s eLearning Center.
Authors and/or their employing institution should own
The United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- You or your spouse/partner has a financial relationship with a commercial interest.
- You have the opportunity to affect CME content related to the products or services of that commercial interest.
All materials will be due on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Due Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2020
Length of manuscript in words: 3,000 – 10,000
Number of references: Under 100
Number of illustrations: Most articles have 3-8 composite figures, with most in color. Color figures should be planned wisely. Only scientifically necessary color is allowed.
Formal abstract: Yes, a formal abstract is required.
How to submit: http://mts-mpa.nature.com/cgi-bin/main.plex Select article type “Long Course” to ensure proper routing.
2020 Timeline for Manuscript
The manuscript will be published in January 2020.
- April 1: Faculty receive their writing assignments from the course directors
- May – June: Managing editors receive status updates from authors
- July 1: Manuscripts are due to Modern Pathology
- July – September: Modern Pathology Editorial Board peer review process
- September 2: Review of manuscripts is complete and decision letters are sent to authors
- September 16: Final version of manuscript submitted online
- October 7: Proofs are sent to authors
- October 14: All corrections to proof returned to publisher
- November 13: Deadline for table of contents, cover art, and cover caption
Long Course faculty receive the following:
- Travel Stipend – The Academy will reimburse for travel expenses up to $800 for the first course and an additional $500 for each additional course (short course, long course, special course).
- Registration – Faculty will receive complimentary General Registration and Companion Meeting Registration along with registration for this course.
Thursday, January 16, 2020: Submit disclosures, PowerPoint presentation, references, and SAM questions through the faculty portal