2020 Evening Specialty Conference Guidelines
New information is exploding in the sphere of pathology, particularly at USCAP, which delivers translational research as it happens, creating a force that changes practices to meet demands of focused patient care. Evening specialty conferences were developed specifically to provide learners with the most current information by the examination of case materials from patients to illustrate newly acquired information about a subject, recent technological advances, and review of complex topics.
Participants of the Evening Specialty Conferences will review slides and ancillary studies in advance of the formal session, to prepare for their interaction with panelists. Content is deliberately and carefully selected for relevance to current practice needs. Key references are provided with handouts.
Case histories and representative images (“unknowns”) of the evening specialty conferences are placed on the USCAP website several weeks prior to the Annual Meeting. This provides an opportunity for attendees to enhance their educational experience by viewing the “unknowns” prior to coming to the meeting. The diagnoses, explanatory text, references, and descriptions of images are posted after the conference.
- Financial Disclosure Form
- Pre-Meeting Materials
- Case Histories
- Virtual Slides/Still Images
- Case discussions with diagnosis*
- SAMs or ARS Multiple Choice Questions
Each Evening Specialty conference will offer American Board of Pathology SAM credits through either a post-activity quiz (SAMs) or audience response system (ARS). The moderator of each session will provide faculty with the specific format selected for the session. Each session must include a total of eight (8) multiple choice questions.
*Case discussion, diagnosis, and references will only be available to attendees after the session.
- On-site Meeting Materials
- PowerPoint presentation of course material uploaded to Speaker Ready Room at Los Angeles Convention Center
Download the 2020 Annual Meeting PowerPoint Slide Template
(file will download automatically)
2020 Annual Meeting PowerPoint Slide Template Instructions
All pre-materials will be due on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Material and Question Preparation
- Case histories of “unknown” cases and representative images should be provided. These will be given to attendees in advance of the session.
- Digital Images/Virtual Slides
Images and/or virtual slides are an important component of the Evening Specialty Conferences. Each panelist can submit up to 12 “unknown” representative digital images or virtual slides per case.
- Digital Images will only be accepted if they are in one of the following formats: jpg, jpeg, png.
- USCAP will scan up to twelve (12) glass slides per panelist. If you are scanning the slide yourself please scan it with a compression quality of 30.
- If you would like USCAP to scan a glass slide for you please send it the address below by
Thursday, December 12, 2019:
USCAP – Education
936 Broad Street, Suite 106
Augusta, GA 30901
SAMs or ARS Multiple Choice Questions
Each Evening Specialty conference will offer American Board of Pathology SAM credits through either a post-activity quiz (SAMs) or audience response system (ARS). The session moderator will provide faculty with the specific format selected for the session. Guidelines and examples are provided in the link below.
- Post-activity Test (SAMs) Questions
Each session will need to prepare eight (8) multiple choice questions. All questions must have three (3) answer options with a single correct answer and include a correct answer rationale, learning objective, and reference.
- Audience Response System (ARS) Questions
Each session will need to incorporate eight (8) multiple choice questions. It is recommended that these be case-based questions that will take the learners through a difficult clinical concept or differential diagnosis. Each question must have a single correct answer. All questions should include a reference.
- Case discussions should guide the attendees through the process of working up a case. You will need to include a diagnosis, case discussion, conclusions, and references. Information on a differential diagnosis or additional images are optional.
- Download the 2020 Annual Meeting PowerPoint Slide Template
(file will download automatically)
- 2020 Annual Meeting PowerPoint Slide Template Instructions
Tips for Building Your Presentation
- Format for presentation must be 16:9
- Sans Serif fonts are recommended for projection
- Use a font size of at least 28 points
- Use no more than 2 fonts on a slide
- If you are inserting images, the recommended format is JPEG or JPG
- If you are inserting a video, the recommended video format is .WMV
Use of Materials and Copyright
USCAP will provide course registrants with access to the pre and post meeting materials online.
Authors and/or their employing institution should own
The United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- You or your spouse/partner has a financial relationship with a commercial interest.
- You have the opportunity to affect CME content related to the products or services of that commercial interest.
All materials will be due on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Thursday, January 16, 2020: Complete disclosure form, upload case histories, images and diagnosis, references, and required ARS/SAM materials through the faculty portal
On-site March 1 – 5, 2020: Upload PowerPoint presentation of course material to Speaker Ready Room at Los Angeles Convention Center at least 4 hours prior to presentation